Renewed Vision for our Campus
As the Creative Events Coordinator for our humble planning team I was pleased to see the first promotional event go smoothly on Friday. Naturally, I plan to conduct more of these throughout next week to advertise for the largest event on Thursday night.
But something interesting happened in handing out fliers, running the silent debate and talking with my fellow students. I got a huge reality check. I saw first-hand how many different worldviews are represented here at Tech, but not only that; I saw how unhappy so many students are. I guess I had forgotten that on this lively campus at this highly regarded Institute of Technology there still exist people who not only have questions, but the majority of these people seem silently desperate for the answers.
A couple of interesting examples for you: In response to our silent debate question of "Is God a delusion?" one student emphatically scrawled "LIFE is a delusion." Other responses varied in their opinions and level of rationality, but none stood out to me as being so depressing or fatalistic as that one. What a terribly sad life that must be!
A female student saw our computer screen playing excerpts of the God Delusion debate and exclaimed, "Is that Richard Dawkins?! I LOVE HIM!!" Yet another student came by and asked if we were Christians and then laughed as he declared "...yall are gonna get HOSED!!" (citing, I presume, the mounting "preparations" being made by the Campus Atheists).
Things like this shock me in some ways, sadden me in others, but they serve to remind me of why it is the Veritas Forum is needed here. We must provide an atmosphere on this campus where discussion of these topics is comfortable, inviting and thought provoking. In a setting like that Christians should take on the role of befriending these students that don't have Truth and showing them that the real answers are found in Jesus Christ.
I pray that's exactly what happens. We'll create the events to raise these discussions; God will provide His children to show the love of Christ to these students. And somewhere between having their questions answered one by one and seeing the love of the true God someone may come to know and trust in Him.


4 comments:
Jason,
Is there a way for me to get in touch with you?
Thanks,
Mark
hereiblog.com
Jason,
Good thoughts on the need for things like Veritas at Georgia Tech. I agree that is hugely important for students to see what truth is all about while they are in college.
I have been around you enough to see that you care about people, even those who don't see the world like you do as a Christian.
I thought the first night of Veritas went well. Stephen did a good introducing the night. It was great having Larry introduce the filmed debate. I found the debate very interesting. Both Dawkins and Lennox were very compelling examples of intelligent thinking representatives of their views. Dawkins is very passionate, strong minded, and patient. Lennox was full of energy himself and a pleasure to listen to with his Irish accent.
I am looking forward to the event tonight. Brittish, Irish, and now Scottish. Really, I look forward to someday hearing from a GT grad in as a compassionate and skilled representative of the Gospel like Dr. Neal or Dr. Hancock or Dr. Kuykendall etc....
It is shocking that your organization was allowed such misguidingly "neutral" framing in the TechNique.
Nothing but a religious organization trying to "save souls" and spread your harmful delusions so you feel less like an idiot for clinging to them yourselves. Everything about christianity is laughable...I hope you have more debates, it will open more eyes to the silliness of religion. Just take it easy on the "veritas" posturing. Say, what's the Latin word for bullshit?
Oh, I see, no dissenting opinions. Hence the lack of comments. What a joke.
Post a Comment